Navigation

Friday, December 3, 2010

When the hair on your back stands...

... ghosts are nearby~! People say that all the time. I just gave myself goosebumps huuu...

Now, I think I have never encountered paranormal things before. Except kena tindih. Ermm... I'm not sure how to translate this term to the English Language. Perhaps, the feeling of being pushed down by something.


'The Nightmare' by Henry Fuseli

I usually experience this before falling asleep. Suddenly my body defies me. I cannot move at will. I felt as if something heavy is on top of me and my fingers experience numbness (semut-semut). My eyes were shut though I feel like I can open them a little but I refuse for fear of seeing *things*. Huhuhu most of the time I would not hear anything during these few seconds or minutes but I recall a few times that I heard sinister laughs of a woman and there was another time that I heard church bells. The sinister laugh was very terrifying~!

People tell me that to fight these things, you just have to move your big toe. Virtually impossible for me huhu I always panic and never remember to do this.

Some say to not fight it. Quit trying to move or scream. I find that this works~! I just lay still and it will pass.
I've heard stories from my friends that they sometimes see what is pinning them down. Some see dark shadows pinning them. My sister said she saw two shadows, 1 was pinning her down and the other smaller one was watching on her side. It's like the bigger shadow was teaching the smaller shadow how to do it. Huhuhu pretty funny. One friend saw a big cat pinning her down and another friend saw a woman pinning him down. Pretty but scary at the same time.

Is this phenomena caused by paranorml activities? Science explained it as sleep paralysis.



This temporary paralysis might cause people to experience seeing things, hearing things and tactile(feeling as if pushed down, numbness on fingers). It may happen before you fall asleep or before waking up from sleep.

Yeah, I experienced those symptoms.

Things that can trigger sleep paralysis are:

1. Sleeping facing upwards or supine position for too long.



2. Irregular sleep clock



3. Sleep/rest deprivation



4. Too much stress. Money/family problems are some.



5. Extreme change in lifestyle. (You've been sitting inactive in your house for so long a time and then suddenly you go mountain climbing or doing something extreme)



6. Narcolepsy



7. A lucid dream that precedes the episode of being pinned down.



8. Excessive consumption of alcohol coupled with lack of adequate sleep.



My kena tindih episodes peaked in Keningau during my foundation year. When we moved to Gaya, there was one semester that I experienced it a lot, that was the third semester.

I don't drink and I'm not narcoleptic. So that leaves the other triggers. I don't sleep in the afternoon and I usually sleep at 1 in the morning and wake up at 6.30am to go to class. You can say I was deprived of sleep but it wasn't irregular because my sleeping time is always like that everyday.

In Keningau, I would often go out to play badminton, tennis or volleyball with my friends. So... maybe it's some sort of lifestyle change.


Yours truly in yellow with brown cap.


I always played defence in school and suddenly I realized I could shoot too huhuhu : )

I was definitely stressed because this was my first time living far away from home and I was quite taken aback at the amount of work to be done in college.

Upon my research of sleep paralysis, I found out that this happens all around the world. In north America, it is associated with the old hag.



In Africa, they call it devil on your back.

This topic really fascinates me, if you want to read more about folklores surrounding sleep paralysis, do read it here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

So, all in all, I like to say that this pinned down experience is of sleep paralysis because the thought of being pinned by *things* scares me more huhuhu

Sweet dreams~!

1 comment:

Lee Pei Shi said...

wuwu sy pun pernah tp tdk pernah dpt buka mata judith